Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Day 294: Matthew 17; Mark 9; Luke 9:28-62

I think many people use the story about the disciples not being able to drive a demon out because they don't have enough faith as the basis for their argument 'some people don't get well, because they don't have enough faith.' I'm not sure this is the same thing and may be one of the most dangerous misuses of scripture. I have heard people say this about others and it always rubs me the wrong way, although I am not sure how to accurately respond.

Good note on Mark 9:24. "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" The attitude of trust and confidence that the Bible calls belief or faith is not something we can obtain without help. Faith is a gift from God. No matter how much faith we have, we never reach the point of being self-sufficient. Faith is not stored away like money in the bank. Growing in faith is a constant process of daily renewing our trust in Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment